Demi Lovato’s Shocking New Admission — I Threw Up ‘Five Times A Day’ & ‘Was Only Eating Two Times A Week!’
April 20th, 2011
Demi opens up on her battles with food, cutting, drugs and alcohol in her new interview — and how she overcame her demons!
Demi Lovato looks healthier and happier than ever after her stint in a Chicago treatment facility, and is know finally revealing the personal battles with her weight, cutting, drugs and alcohol that sent her there. Demi tells People, “When I was about 15, I was only eating two meals a week, but I wasn’t losing any more weight because my body adjusted to that. So I tried new things: laxatives, fasts — nothing was working. I decided maybe I should start throwing up. At my worst, I was doing it five times a day. I threw up so hard and so much, it was just blood in the toilet.”
Among Demi’s other brave admissions:
* On her now infamous fight with dancer Alex Welch: “I was manic. I was hurt. I just exploded. Everything built up to this point, and I took it out on someone who was my friend.”
* On if it was her decision to seek treatment: “Yes and no. I flew back to the U.S. and I thought we were going to L.A. My parents were like, ‘No, you’re going to Dallas. We have the owner of a treatment center waiting to talk to you.’”
* On what motivated her weight loss: “The spotlight didn’t cause this. It just contributed a little bit. I looked at blogs: I saw nasty comments.”
* On how she would skip meals: “On lunch breaks on Sonny with a Chance, instead of eating, I would take naps or I’d say, ‘I’d gotta get my nails done!’ I’d also go out with my friends more than normal.”
* On drugs and alcohol: “I’d be lying if I said I never touched anything. Fortunately it never got to a place where I had to be in treatment for it.”
* On depression: “I’ve battled depression from a young age. I never found out until I went into treatment that I am bipolar.”
* On reuniting with old friends: “Selena [Gomez] and I reconnected the first week. We hadn’t spoken in a long time. I take the blame; I feel like it was because of the way I’d been acting. She called me and she was the one crying.”
* On her current eating habits: “My goal for every day is to eat three meals, and that’s challenging enough.”
* On returning to Sonny with a Chance: “I don’t know if I could handle being in front of a camera with my body right now.”
* On staying strong: ”It’s a struggle I’ll probably have to deal with for the rest of my life. But I have so much life to live; I don’t want to waste it.
Demi is one brave young woman who is helping millions of girls by making her struggles, and hard work in overcoming them, public!